Mystery Quilts for Thanksgiving Weekend

Posted in ,

My son left today to spend the entire 4-day holiday weekend with his adopted grandmother. This will be only the 2nd time in my life I’ve been alone for Thanksgiving weekend. The first time, more than 15 years ago, didn’t go so well, so this time I hope to keep myself busy.

I thought perhaps I’d sew a short mystery quilt. I would want one that I can easily finish in the 4 days of this weekend. Also, I don't want something that needs too many different fabrics because I'll be using only fabric from my stash.

I was amazed how hard it was to find mysteries online. Most of the links were just broken, and many led to malicious/spyware web sites. I found only a few online to choose from...

But then I found I couldn't stand to commit my time, and especially my fabric without knowing what the quilt would look like. Kinda defeats the purpose of a mystery quilt! I guess I need to trust the person who made the mystery, or at least the person who is hosting the mystery quilt before I can do it. That explains why I've only done one mystery quilt in all these years.

scrappySplitRail So, I've decided to instead work on one of my WIPs (works in progress). Except I got a little side-tracked by this cute quilt by Cindy Carter. (Click the photo to view the PDF instructions for this Scrappy Split Rail quilt.)

To make with 12" blocks this takes 3.5" squares, which I just happen to have a nice bag of from when I was chopping up all my scraps for my (not-yet-started so it’s not really a WIP) Scrappy Lattice quilt. (I have a list of WIPs in the column to the right.)

Except that I really should not start something new until I finish one of my WIPs. But which one???

This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 and is filed under , . You can leave a comment and follow any comments to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Post a Comment