Making Blocks from Scraps

Posted in ,

As I’ve finished organizing my scraps, I’ve been looking over my collection of quilt magazines and books with a new eye towards scrappy quilts. (I really never paid attention to scrap quilts, thinking they would be way too much trouble to make.) 

kingscrown I have a tub a bit bigger than a big shoe box full of a different type of scraps: These are odds and ends of sewn scraps. Lots of strip sets, parts of 9-patches, and tons of half square triangles that were cut when making flying geese blocks and snowball blocks, and others that you cut the corners from. I sewed most of these leftovers together in half-square triangles already so they are ready to make into blocks.

beartracks Yesterday I laid out some fall colored half-squares with some 2.5 inch scraps, and 4.5 in scraps in fall colors to make a 12” bear tracks block. I also laid out some 1930s reproduction flying geese scraps into a king’s crown block. I got them sewed and ironed tonight and they are up on my design wall.

I have about 10 or 15 other twelve inch 1930’s reproduction fabric blocks from a swap with Faith Quilters so this block will go nicely with those. :)

I really love the bear tracks block made in fall colors. I may make several more of those and have a quilt someday. I’ve always wanted a bear tracks or bear’s paw quilt…

This entry was posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 and is filed under , . You can leave a comment and follow any comments to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Post a Comment